Monday, November 23, 2009

This glimpse of brilliance is better than a long look at mediocrity

A couple weekends ago, we picked up Ha Ha Tonka's first album, "Buckle in the Bible Belt."  I sat on it for a few days, as I was a little caught up in work and the Monsters of Folk album.  When I finally got around to giving it a try, I was mighty impressed.  The entry page to their website reads: "Ha Ha Tonka - foot stomping indie rock" and I think that about sums it up.  Their sound is an interesting mix of rootsy folk/country, 3 and 4 part gospel harmonies, and whiskey laden rock.  This is rail drinks and concrete floors type of music and I'm loving every minute of it.  They have a second album - "Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South" - out, too, but I haven't grabbed that one yet (who wants to buy me a gift?).  I think what impresses me the most about Ha Ha Tonka's music is how well the lyrics stand up to the rest of the music.  That may be hard to follow, but I think it is easy for the words to get lost in the raucous nature of this type of sound.  In the same way the Rhett Miller's wordsmithing shines through the Old 97s rocking, I think Ha Ha Tonka nails the balance between rowdy and thoughtful.  For examples of what I'm babbling about, check out these videos from a in studio performance for Chicago's Q101:


St. Nick on the Fourth in a Fervor (from Buckle in the Bible Belt)



Close Every Valve To Your Bleeding Heart (from Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South)



If anyone else agrees with me on the quality of Ha Ha Tonka's music, we're in luck (at least those of us who live in the 'burgh or Baltimore/DC areas).  The band is currently on tour and stopping at the Recher Theater in Baltimore (Towson to be exact) on Dec. 3, Mr. Smalls in the 'burgh on Dec. 5, and the 9:30 Club in DC on Dec. 6.  Hopefully I can make it out on the 3rd or 6th and report back on how the band sounds up close and personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment