Thursday, November 12, 2009

I've been thinking a lot today...

I thought about
The Army

What's that you say?  You've had enough Ben Folds?  Veterans' Day was yesterday?  I know, but I might have dozed off on the couch on my day off instead of doing any number of the productive things I had ambitiously planned for myself (blog post included).  So, in between things at work, I'll put the post together today.  Instead of a Veterans' Day post, I'll just call it a post inspired by the holiday.

Living in Annapolis, I can't help letting my mind wander toward the military.  Usually, its thoughts like, "Man, I can't find parking anywhere.  Oh, yeah, its commissioning week." But sometimes, I'm reminded how much respect the people who put their lives on the line for their country deserve.  Like during the pirate saga (did it qualify as a saga?) that unfolded not too long ago:



Two songs (three, actually, but I'm resisting the urge to post anything related to the Village People) came to mind when thinking about a Veterans' Day themed post.  I'll put the fun one first and end with more of a somber tune at the end.

Ben Folds Five - Army



Iron & Wine - Love Vigilantes (New Order cover)


Side note: I expect that I'll do an Iron & Wine post sometime soon and then probably a bunch of times after that.  Sam Beam is very, very good.

1 comment:

  1. A couple more to add to your list:

    Josh Ritter - Temptation of Adam (devastatingly beautiful about love and war)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCeCVmJAUA

    Caroline's Spine - Mrs. Sullivan (about a woman who had 5 sons join the Navy and never make it back home)

    ReplyDelete