Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Music Organization Project: Part I

I'm a big fan of organization.  I sleep better in a clean bedroom with all of my laundry put away.  I work more efficiently with a clean desk and an accurate file system.  The problem is that I'm really good at procrastinating and organizing things is something easy to put off in favor of more enjoyable endeavors.  Recently, I've grown ambitious and decided to get some things in order.  One of those things happens to be my laptop that is currently stuffed full of music.  When I left my two prior jobs for greener pastures, I just dumped every personal file from my work computers right onto my laptop in on big mess of a folder.  Between employment relocation dumps and moving files back and forth between computers and my mp3 player, there isn't much organization to be found on the ol laptop.  So today, I am starting the Music Organization Project, or MOP for short.  I only point out the acronym because of how well it fits.

As I work my way through the various folders and somewhat random files on my laptop, I will be stumbling across music that I've either forgotten about or just plain haven't listened to in awhile and posting about it.  This could take some time.

First up for the MOP is an album by Zero 7 called "The Garden."  I was first introduced to Zero 7 in 2001 or 2002 when I saw the video for "Destiny" on MTV2.  Does that channel still exist?  Do they show videos on it, or just reruns of old Road Rules episodes?  Anyway, I caught the video partway through and was sucked in, making sure I stuck around until the end to see who the band was.  I downloaded a few songs and liked everything I heard.  The music was moody, laid back, and just plain smooth.  I kept tabs on the band, but for some reason skipped out on buying their first 2 albums.  I impulse bought "The Garden" one day in my favorite music store when I read that Zero 7 worked with both Sia (who had been on board on previous Zero 7 recording) and José González on the album.  It turned out to be a good idea and I'm ready to get their new album "Yeah Ghost" as soon as I can.  I'd love to see them live sometime, but it looks like I'll have to wait for the next tour.  The crazy brits are playing 2 shows in my area while I'll be off at a wedding.  I guess I'll settle for the things I find on the web for now.  Here's a video of Zero 7, with Sia (playing backup singer and bartender, apparently) and José González along for the ride playing "Today" off of "The Garden":

No comments:

Post a Comment