Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stress relief for a busy Tuesday

On a day when I should be paying attention to who is going to be my new boss (get out and vote, Annapolitans), I'm stuck at my desk dealing with all kinds of things that aren't worth the effort to type about.  In a nutshell, it was a busy morning and a busy afternoon is sure to follow.  A day like this calls for some stress relief, so I think I'll post two videos that always seem to make the world melt away when I watch them.

The first is the video for "Her Morning Elegance" by Oren Lavie.  Lavie's music is great for this time of year.  Whimsical and airy, much like Alexi Murdoch, Oren Lavie crafts some excellent music to daydream to.  With apologies to Ms. Swift and Mr. West, I think this is the video of the year.  Anything that can bring stop motion back to music videos ("Sledgehammer" anyone?) and include a floating cello gets my vote.



The second video is for "Ljósið" by Ólafur Arnalds (if anyone knows how to pronounce that, please let me know).  After hearing this, I'm convinced that I'm developing a potentially unhealthy adoration of Icelandic music.  I'm baffled that my friends don't enjoy Sigur Rós anywhere close to as much as I do and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to track down Arnalds' new album on vinyl.  I can only assume it will be fantastic.  He is from Iceland, after all.  I'm no expert on classical or neo-classical or whatever music, but to my ears, this song (and video) starts off as rather pretty and builds into something quite gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment