Friday, January 22, 2010

You'll be happy and wholesome again when the city clears and the sun ascends

I either need to find more disposable income or listen to less music.  There's no way I could talk myself into the latter, so maybe its time to win the lottery.  My list of music to buy and concerts to attend is growing exponentially faster than my bank account.  In fact, its part of the reason why my bank account doesn't grow as fast as it could.  I find a new band to check out, listen to a few songs, and add them to the list.  The thing just grows and grows.  Sometimes I forget to update the list and a band slips through the cracks (and the bank account rejoices).  Then the random playlist on my computer or mp3 player spits out a track I haven't heard in awhile and I immediately wonder why I didn't throw those guys on the list.  Then it just keeps growing (and the bank account winces).

As you might have guessed, the random playlist just struck again.  I have a few songs from a Mumford & Sons BBC 1 Radio session and my favorite, "White Blank Page," came up and reminded me why I want to get on board this bandwagon early.  Mumford & Sons is an English folk rock band that only just released their debut album in the fall of 2009.  Yes, I said folk rock, so consider this a warning to my unadventurous friends, the following videos contain banjo, mandolin, etc.  I suggest even the unadventurous among you check out the band, even though the name kind of sounds like some obscure mom and pop specialty store (Mumford & Sons Haberdashery, Mumford & Sons Apothecary...you get the idea).  There is a warm, familiar feeling to the band's music, with Marcus Mumford's growling vocals and sing along choruses backed by the right splashes of banjo and crescendos (I'm a sucker for a good crescendo).

Below are two songs from an acoustic peformance for the Bookshop Sessions, "Winter Winds" and the aforementioned "White Blank Page."

Mumford & Sons - Winter Winds


Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page

No comments:

Post a Comment