Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Moment, A Love, A Dream, Aloud

I think I want to be the guy who gets to pick music for commercials.  They must get sent a ton of great stuff and, in the end, they get to pick some of the coolest, freshest music around to broadcast to the country.  Or at least the part of the country that isn't fast forwarding through the commercial breaks.  One of the few times I wasn't fast forwarding (thanks Tivo), I was transfixed by a car commercial.  It wasn't the car that drew me in, but whatever kick ass song was playing behind the ad.  I grabbed my trusty Droid and cued up the Shazam app.  In a matter of seconds, my phone told me that I was listening to "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap.  Man, I dig technology.  Not a week later, my wife and I finally got around to checking out (500) Days of Summer, which I have to say is well worth the price of at least a rental, and there was that driving guitar and airy voice again.  The song was haunting me and begging to be shared. 

Just to make sure I wouldn't be pointing people in the direction of a band with only one song in them, I dug through some of the YouTube links and was pretty happy with what I heard.  The Temper Trap is hard to shoehorn into any one genre.  "Sweet Disposition" is an atmospheric song that kinds of reminds me of the "IO (This Time Around)" by Hellen Stellar, but "Fader" (their most recent single) is reminiscent of the insanely catchy pop of The Format.  I'd imagine that The Temper Trap's album is full of twists and turns and flirts with at least a few different genres.  I, for one, welcome that kind of range in a band.  It doesn't seem like these guys are experimenting just for the sake of experimentation.  I'll let you judge the quality for yourself with two quite different versions of "Sweet Disposition"


From Jimmy Kimmel Live:



From some other show:

No comments:

Post a Comment