Saturday, January 16, 2010

A man needs something he can hold on to...

In the spirit of a young tradition here at Seabass Says, this post is made in conjunction with a birthday.  This one is more meaningful to me than the last couple, because today is my wife's birthday.

You have to understand...she puts up with my overexcitement about new bands on a nearly daily basis (luckily, she normally likes them, too), like when she humored me the other day as I listened to 4 different versions of the same song trying to figure out if I liked it or not.  She lets me drag her to shows on weeknights and doesn't complain when she can't focus at work because of sleep deprivation.  More importantly, she willingly lets me spend too much money on us going to said shows.  In fact, it has become a tradition of ours to give each other tickets for gifts (usually on everyone's favorite February Hallmark Holiday).  I think my favorite show to come out of that tradition was probably the Gomez/Ben Kweller show at Sonar in Baltimore awhile back.  Having someone to share great moments at shows with is such a cool thing.

One of my top concert experiences ever was when she made me wait around to get a poster signed by Josh Ritter and then got him to promise to play at the coffee shop that I have dreams of opening one day (sadly, it costs money and guts to open a business you have little to no experience in).  Slim chance of follow through on that one, but we got the verbal commitment.  More recently, we even celebrated our anniversary with a concert (Regina Spektor in DC).

My favorite wife and music related memory is our discovery of Ray LaMontagne (which is French for "The Montagne").  We had recorded Austin City Limits because Ben Folds was scheduled for the show.  After a night out and about with friends, we got back to the apartment, put on ACL, and sat down on the couch with a beer.  Ben Folds' set ended about a half an hour into the show and then Ray took to the stage.  Out comes this skinny, hobo looking guy with an acoustic guitar and his band, which consisted of one dude with an upright bass.  Our skepticism was washed away the moment Ray opened his mouth.  The soul and power that came out through his scruffy beard left us astounded and I don't think a sound was made until the song was over and one or both of us let out a "Wow."

Ray LaMontagne - Jolene



And as a little bonus, here's "our song" with a video to remind us all why the 80s rocked (I want that green jacket).

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post! Thanks, babe :) I would also list the Avett Brothers show we saw a few months back as one of the top "gift concerts" we've been to. Such great memories!

    I can't wait to see John Mayer next month! You ROCK :P

    ReplyDelete