Monday, October 26, 2009

One Fast Move or I'm Gone: Kerouac's Big Sur

So this is what happens when you mix Jay Farrar, Ben Gibbard and a book full of Kerouac's prose.  I just found out about this project at the end of last week, but the documentary (addressing Kerouac's attempt and eventually inability to kick his drinking habit) and the accompanying soundtrack came out on Tuesday the 20th.

I managed to stumble across the Farrar/Gibbard pairing while perusing the recent Morning Becomes Eclectic
shows at KCRW's website.  The KCRW site is a great source of music to stream at work and I especially enjoy the Morning Becomes Eclectic program.  Its usually pretty laid back and there are a lot of stripped down, acoustic or solo sets that are a great way to ease into a day at the office.  They had Farrar and Gibbard in the studio last Friday to perform songs off of the One Fast Move or I'm Gone soundtrack.  I took a listen and I'm liking it enough that I may have to try to talk the wife into a trip to our local music store.  Check it out for yourself and see what you think.  It shows that Farrar was the primary songwriter for the project, as the music is very reminiscent of his Son Volt work.  I think anyone who likes Son Volt and their moody alt-country should give One Fast Move or I'm Gone a try.  Anyone with a chance to see the documentary should probably take it, too.  It'd be nice to see more of these types of collaborations make their way to the theaters instead of just an endless stream of remakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment