Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Maybe New Jersey ain't so bad after all

Like many people, I like to give my friends who hail from New Jersey crap for their home state.  Ragging on NJ is just the American way.  Obviously, Jersey has produced some excellent music in the past (I recently stole my dad's record collection, but have yet to throw The Boss on the turntable) and the state is staring to really get my attention.  I've been listening to the Gaslight Anthem for around a year or so and their most recent effort - "American Slang" - is proving to be just as strong as "The'59 Sound".  I can talk about the Gaslight Anthem some other time, though, because I can't get Steel Train out of my head right now.  I heard the song "Bullet" on the consistently high quality summer mix tape from Heather Browne's I Am Fuel, You Are Friends blog and just can't seem to shake it from my brain.  This is not a bad thing.  The tone of the Gaslight Anthem strikes me as a combination of regret and redemption, but Steel Train's sound seems to be at the other end of the spectrum, swelling with hope and dreams.  I would definitely pay for a concert lineup of Steel Train opening for the Gaslight Anthem.  Hope and Dreams followed by Regret and Redemption.  That may sound depressing on paper, but would sound fantastic in a concert hall.

I've been away from this space for too long, so I'll offer up 3 Steel Train videos as a peace offering to my endless amount of readers (I hope that reads with the intended sarcasm...anyway, enjoy).

"Bullet" live in Cleveland:


"S.O.G. Burning in Hell" also live in Cleveland:


"Bullet" stripped down to just one guitar:

No comments:

Post a Comment