Thursday, December 16, 2010

Admitting my man crush on Glen Hansard

There.  I said it.  I have a man crush on Glen Hansard (my wife is ok with this and the rest of my quirks).  Can you really blame me?  The dude is really friggin good at what he does and has some great stage presence.  Like many people, I became aware of Glen Hansard through the movie Once and his work with Marketa Irglova in The Swell Season, instead of his work with The Frames.  Sadly, I'm still only familiar with Hansard's Swell Season music and I need to start digging through The Frames' catalog.  My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing The Swell Season live not too long ago (but missed out on the recent Frames anniversary tour) and it was well worth the price of admission.  They were so good, I forgot to be annoyed by the guy in front of me unknowingly blocking my view as he kept shifting his weight back and forth.

"Low Rising," off of The Swell Season's most recent album, "Strict Joy," plays well into Hansard's strengths.  Simple in its setup and execution, Glen delivers "Low Rising" like all of his songs, with a sincerity and soul that can't be faked.  Are the Irish just born with old souls?  I continue to be thankful to the creators and users of YouTube for the chance to watch and listen to this stuff over and over again.

Glen Hansard - Low Rising

No comments:

Post a Comment