Thursday, May 27, 2010

We should always know that we can do anything

It is getting hot here by the Chesapeake Bay.  The one thing I may never get used to around here is the amount of humidity we deal with on a regular basis in the summer.  Just too sticky of a climate for me, I think.  Good thing I don't live any further (or is that farther?) south.

So anyway, getting to the musical point of the post, I love how songs and weather can play off of each other and enhance the listening experience.  I can even manage to get a smile on my face with the sun out, the windows down, and the right song coming through my speakers on the way into work in the morning.  A song that keeps popping up on my random playlist of everything I can think to include is "Go Do" off of the recent solo effort "Go" by Sigur Ros frontman, Jonsi.  Its no secret that Sigur Ros is a favorite of mine even if some of my friends and old roommates weren't too keen on their sound.  While Sigur Ros's music has this kind of epic, contemplative, dreamlike feel to it, Jonsi's solo work is all exuberance, hope, and sunshine.

"Go Do" is a perfect example of the kind of music that can take a hot, sunny day and just shine it up a bit more.  If you're a pure cynic, I don't know if Jonsi is for you.  There is just way too much hope that shines through the songs on "Go".  On "Go Do", I'm personally drawn to the Baba O'Reily-esque manic chaos of the music that Jonsi's voice soars over.  See for yourself.  Here's 2 versions of the song (one with full band and one as a duo with a peacock strutting around the stage...did I mention Jonsi is a crazy person?  Of course that makes me like his music even more).

Jonsi - Go Do:


No comments:

Post a Comment